Vegan Thai Sweet Potato, Coconut Curry Soup
This Thai red curry soup is my new FAVE! I love how well Thai flavours and sweet potato go together, and love how pretty the soup looks with spiralized sweet potato 🙂
I made my own Thai red curry paste, and if you have a food processor I really recommend you give it a go too, however you can substitute for shop bought paste, if you prefer.
To make the Thai red curry paste:
Makes 9 tbsps:
4-5 red & green chillies
140g shallots, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
3 thin slices fresh ginger
Handful fresh coriander
Zest from one lime
½ tsp ground pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp paprika
5 tbsp water
To make the soup: (Serves 2)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon grass
1 red onion
1 tsp grated ginger
4 cloves of garlic
3.5 cups vegetable broth
3 tbsp thai red curry paste
1 can full fat coconut milk
Juice from 1 lime
2 sweet potatoes
Salt & pepper
- Start by making the Thai red curry paste. Place all of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste. You may need to add a bit more water. This recipe will make about ten tablespoons of paste, so freeze or refrigerate what you don’t use.
- To make the soup, start by preparing your vegetables. Chop the lemongrass (cut the dry ends off the stalk, then peel the tough outer “shell” of the stalk. Discard that outer shell. Use a knife to slice the newly revealed inner stalk.) and onion. Peel, then spiralize the sweet potatoes.
- Add the olive oil to a large pan and heat over a medium-high heat. Saute the onion, ginger and lemongrass for around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 1 minute (until fragrant), then add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, thai red curry paste and lime juice. Stir until well combined, then leave over a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato to the pan, and cover with the lid. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and add the chopped coriander and basil to serve
Love from Stacey x