Say hello to my delicious and nutritious stuffed aubergines (eggplant).
Did you know that aubergine is very low in calories and fats but rich in soluble fibre content? 100g provides just 24 calories but contributes to about 9% of your RDA of fibre.
If you do make any of my recipes, please tag me in your posts on Instagram I’d love to see your creations and use the hashtags #staceyhogan #happyandhealthy
If you’d like to be kept up to date with what I’m cooking and get my recipes first, I also have a private Facebook Group, feel free to join here: Happy & Healthy.
Ingredients (serves 1):
1 aubergine (eggplant)
80g goats cheese
1 small red onion
2 x garlic cloves
3 X tomatoes
1tbsp. buckwheat groats
25g pomegranate seeds
1tbsp. chopped parsley
Mint leaves to garnish
Dash olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Slice the aubergine then place in the pan of water. Cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, then drain and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, then place the aubergine halves on it, cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, then remove from the oven and scoop out the flesh from the centre (leaving approx 1.5cm around the edges). Chop up the flesh, then set aside.
- Peel and dice your onion and garlic. Add the olive oil to a frying pan then add in the onion and garlic, fry for 3-4 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the aubergine flesh to the frying pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Chop up the mushrooms and tomatoes, then add into the pan, cook for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the spinach to the pan and leave to wilt.
- Spoon the mixture into the middle of the aubergine halves, then place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with the goats cheese, pomegranate, buckwheat groats, parsley and mint to serve.